Please Visit My Adoption Blog

Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers

Monday, July 10, 2006

All the sudden I have a "maiden".


Proverbs 31:15 She riseth also while it is yet night, and giveth meat to her household, and a portion to her maidens.
Friday my husband came home and said he had run into our 15 year old neice at his mom's house. He said she was working at several jobs this summer but she needed another one and he had offered her a job helping me around the house. At first I felt kind of weird about it. I wondered if he thought I wasn't doing good enough. But then he told me that he wanted to plan for when we got our baby and I would absolutley need some extra help. I thought it was a great idea. She came over Saturday and we discussed when she would come over and what hubby thought was a fare wage. We decided she would come on Monday and Tuesday mornings from 6:00-8:00 and that he would pay her $10 hr, coming to a total of $40 a week. He also felt it would be important to help her get a savings account at the bank. He told her he would take her today and his name would be on the account too. We will put $20 in the bank each week and she would get $20 in cash. She will be saving for a car when she turns 16 in a year. Her only bill is her cell phone. Although her parents aren't.....very.....stable I guess would be the word. Neither have jobs and she wants to beable to provide for herself as she needs.
So, I fixed her breakfast (eggs, sausage, and biscutes) and picked her up. She ate and got right to work. Last night I made a list of things for her to do for the next two weeks. I included what her breakfast menu would be to make sure she cared for everything I would make. I decided on chocolate chip pancakes for tomarrow and she got real excited. I showed her how I wanted things done and what cleaners to use where. Then I went for my walk. 30 minutes later I walked in and she was a busy bee. I took time to read my bible and spend a little extra time with our dogs. Around 7:00 I did a few chores of my own like making the bed and doing a couple dishes. One of the things on her list was to clean and organize my pots and pans cabinets. I tend to just throw them in there instead of making neat stacks. I helped her go through some things and get rid of some dishs I no longer need. It was nice working side by side with someone. She did a good job.

1 comments:

Amy said...

This sounds like a great opportunity for your niece to learn some good skills while helping you at the same time :)

A few years ago a pre-teen girl at my church had just taken a babysitting course but needed some experience. She came to my house once a week after school and watched by children for two hours....for free! I really enjoyed the time off and she was able to get some experience caring for young children.

Related Posts with Thumbnails