Please Visit My Adoption Blog

Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers

Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Waffles for Breakfast!

(Tammy's picture)

Soft and sweet homemade Belgian waffles from Tammy's Recipes


Yield: 15-16 waffles (4.5-inch squares)
Ingredients:
2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
2 eggs, separated
1 1/2 cups milk
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, melted
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Fresh fruit, jam, or syrup**
Instructions:
1. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, and baking powder.
2. In another bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form.
3. In yet another bowl, lightly beat egg yolks and then add milk, butter, and vanilla, mixing well. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold egg whites into batter.
4. Bake in a pre-heated waffle iron according to manufacturer's instructions, until golden brown.*
5. Serve warm with fresh fruit, jam, or syrup.**
Additional Notes:
*Batter will be somewhat thin, so don't over-fill your waffle iron, or you'll have a big mess to clean up afterwards! Fill just until bottom is level, not heaping, with batter. Waffles will be very soft when they are finished. Remove with a fork onto a plate, and they will crisp up somewhat as they cool slightly.
**We prefer fresh fruit or a topping that isn't too sweet, especially when serving this for a meal (rather than as a dessert), since the waffles themselves are rather sweet. If you're serving this as a dessert, you can even add whipped cream on your toppings!
Preparation Time: 15-20 minutes
Cooking Time: varies

Tammy's Review:
These Belgium waffles are very good, though a little too
sweet for me to eat many at a time.
What I like best about them is that the
leftover waffles are absolutely delicious when re-warmed in the toaster!! I
think they are just as good as (if not better than!) when they were freshly
made. Crispy on the outside, but soft inside. Since making these waffles
involves a little extra time (beating the egg whites), I prefer to make a double
batch and then enjoy a lot of easy breakfasts from the leftover waffles! :D
If you need a breakfast item that you can make ahead and re-warm on-demand,
this is it! My rating: 10/10

I made a batch of these this morning. They were really good! I froze my leftovers. I got 20 waffles. I ate 4, put 4 in the fridge, and 12 in the freezer. I put wax paper on a cookie sheet and stacked them 2 at a time- 3 rows of 3. The wax paper might not be necessary, but I wasn't sure so I put it down just in case. Then before I left the house I put them in a freezer bag. They had been in there for 4 hours. The 4 waffles I put in the fridge I think I'm going to use for egg sandwiches for lunch.

By the way-they are sweet. But I like sweet. I ate them with a tall glass of chocolate milk.

Update: I made a double batch yestarday. Since I got 20 out of the first batch I reasoned that I should get 40 out of a double. But I ended up mixing up the batter and having to put it in the fridge for about 30 minutes until dinner was done. When I took it back out it had thickened quit a bit. The waffles came out even fluffier, but I think I could have made a few more had the batter not been so thick. Anyway I ended up with 36 waffles. I froze them all. So...if you like your waffle batter thicker, then put it in the fridge for 30 minutes.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So glad you liked them! :) But will you please add a link to the original recipe or else just to my website? :) It's okay to re-post recipes from the site... but a link would be nice since it's my photo ;)

P.S. Didn't get a chance to comment earlier, but I enjoyed your thought about Joyce Meyer Ministries!

Bethanie said...

I have a link to your website in my sidebar. But I added it to the post also, as per your request.
I didn't realize it was your photo. I have no intention of plagerizeing. Thanks for keeping me on my toes.

Anonymous said...

Oh, no biggie :) But yes, we take all of our food photos! :) I sometimes use some stock art for my miscellaneous pictures, but we have a license for that, too... I recently updated the "about" page on my website so people would know this sort of thing. :)

I appreciate the link! Please know that I'm not at all upset... I was sure you just didn't realise it was our photo :)

I enjoy your blog! How long have you been married? I think you're very sweet. I can't remember how I first came across your blog, but I've been reading for a while now :)

Anonymous said...

What could I do to get you to post a review of this at my website? :) (Like what you wrote here, underneath the recipe on the website) Maybe I can link to the next yummy-looking recipe you post about in exchange! ;) (Well, okay... I was planning to do that anyway... but I would be thrilled if you left a review on the website) ;)

Related Posts with Thumbnails