Please Visit My Adoption Blog

Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers

Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Lent

No, I'm not catholic. But, yes I do lent. I observed lent for the first time last year. I don't exactly go by the usual rules of lent though. I've sort of made up my own. I don't give up meat, because I don't think thats healthy. I count Sundays during my denial period. I start on Ash Wednesday (Today) and go until Maundy Thursday. I give up something that during the rest of the year I think I can't live without. Last year I gave up chocolate. This year I'm giving up all sweats and I'm also giving up all white carbs (white bread, white rice, potatoes, etc.).
Ok, now for why I do lent: First, and most importantly; becuase I feel convicted to do it. Second, I think it helps me to remember Jesus' humanity. That he was human (and God at the same time) and he was tempted with things just like us. Also, its a time when I feel God molding me into the Christian and woman that I want to be. I pray and seek his word just a little more often when I'm constantly being reminded of the reason for my denial. Third, its good for me. Everything I put in my mouth I have to think about first. Its a time of seeking God and cleansing. To my surprise hubby has decided to try it with me this year. Yestarday he decided he would give up soda and chips. So I won't cause him to stumble I'm giving up those things too, although they aren't really things I take in very often anyway. I'm really excited to find out what God will show us during this time.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Like many things, I think lent is a good concept that could help one meditate on God-- like you are doing-- but all too often is just a time to say that I'm giving up something that isn't really that big of a deal.

I would hear of people "giving up" things that they didn't do anyway, or did sparsely (like you helping your hubby out by giving up things that you aren't affected by) rather than doing it for the right reasons. I'd never hear about their thoughts about Christ at the time. It was all the ritual.

So, I'm glad to hear that you're giving up something that means something to you, and that you're doing it for a good reason and purpose. Thanks for that positive role modeling!

Kristi said...

Wow Bethanie, I pray you and your husband grow from this. I'm all for anything that will draw us closer to the Lord and strengthen our relationship with Him. I'll say a prayer for you.

~Kristi

Bethanie said...

minthegap-believe me...those things do mean a lot to me. I had a rough first day-white carbs are everywhere.
happymama-thanks for the prayer!

Related Posts with Thumbnails