Please Visit My Adoption Blog

Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers

Friday, May 15, 2009

Let The Torture Begin- Fitness Friday

Ms. Brenda @ The Family Revised does "Fitness Friday" and I guess this would be a good place to officially announce my new awareness of just how unhealthy I am. As I reported earlier this week I have high cholesterol. My doctor wants me to try a low fat diet to bring it down. I've been researching just what that means and I've come up with this rough draft of guidelines that I need to learn to follow:
  • FRIED IS BAD
  • Red meat in moderation
  • Cheese in moderation

I'm trying to focus on things that I can have. So here's a list of things that I will be consuming from now on:

  • Veggies and fruit (fresh, frozen, dried, canned)
  • Soy Milk
  • Low fat cheese
  • Egg whites
  • Chicken & Turkey
  • Tuna
  • Extra lean beef
  • Trans free reduced fat butter (in moderation)
  • Honey & Applesauce in baking instead of sugar and butter or oil
  • Nuts
  • Whole grains
  • Beans
  • Oatmeal
  • Flax seed
  • Soy nuts
  • Tea
  • Pomegranate juice and other 100% juices
  • Prunes
  • Pumpkin
  • Dark chocolate and cocoa
  • Water

Key words to remember:

  • Steamed
  • Broiled
  • Grilled
  • Baked
  • Low Fat
  • Reduced Fat
  • Fat Free
  • Low Sodium
  • Reduced Sugar
  • Antioxidants
  • Omega 3s
  • 30 min. of moderate exercise 5 days a week

Basically I have to be more aware of what I put in and I have to move more.

My goal for right now is just to continue to stick to my new eating habits and start exercising every day next week.

The theme for "Fitness Friday" today is What Are You Up Against. Well as I said I'm up against my high cholesterol. But also I'm battling my own DNA. My whole family, except for my brother, is or has been over weight. Eating is a social event for my family. I see in my future: my Grandfather's and mother's diabetes, my Grandfather's heart problems, my Grandmother's dementia, my mother's, aunt's, and uncle's sleep apnea, various failed attempts at surgical weight loss from all sides. That is, if I don't fight it right now. I have to fight it and beat it down. It will not win!

10 comments:

Elspeth said...

Welcome, Bethanie.

You can take control of your health. Look forward to journaling this journey with you.

Giovanna said...

Amazingly this is pretty much the same diet plan for any person with any kind of disease. You figure we would learn the easy way but you know .... good luck with your endeavor to be healthier and lose weight. You are so young to have to be dealing with some of these issues right now. Try your best and know that we will all be here to help you along your journey. : )

Denise said...

Great post sweetie.

karly said...

I love the list of foods and key words you made! You have a carefully thought out plan and I know you will succeed! Welcome to the journey!!

Melissa said...

I'm so proud of you!!! With healthy eating habits and exercise, you can fight a lot of the hereditary coming your way. :D Keep us updated and let us know how you are doing!!!

Melissa :D

JulieMom said...

Way to go on getting in gear. Those are all good things to remember about eating right.

And with the motivation to do it, because of your health issue. You can do this! We will keep you encouraged and do our best to keep the motivation up.

Have a great week!

lady m said...

Welcome to my journey also, Bethanie. I have suffered with high cholesterol for quite sometime.

Taking back your health could be achieved...baby steps :)

blessings,

lady m

Unknown said...

Good post. You are not alone in the journey, I know I need to get better about what I eat especially now that I have become ill. IT can be a very hard thing though. I admire your strentgth

ginny said...

i love how you have identified the good stuff vs the bad! we can all benefit from listing out what is good for us, and what might do us harm. maybe even post it on your pantry door and fridge? i am going to have my kids help me make a "don't eat late" sign for the fridge..accountability is so necessary!

Great-Granny Grandma said...

Welcome to Fitness Friday. I haven't posted yet this week because I've been truly swamped with work. However, I just wanted to drop you a quick note since I hadn't seen your link before.

Good job with the lists, and focusing on the things that are good for you, instead of what's "bad."

Related Posts with Thumbnails