Please Visit My Adoption Blog

Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers

Friday, September 29, 2006

Fab Friday



Taco Meat Loaves from Taste of Home


We live in Texas and love the Southwest style of cooking. This recipe spices up plain ol’ meat loaf so it tastes like a filling for tacos. —Susan Garoutte Georgetown, Texas

INGREDIENTS
3 eggs, lightly beaten
2 cups picante sauce, divided
1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (11 ounces) Mexicorn, drained
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cans (2-1/4 ounces each) sliced ripe olives, drained
3/4 cup dry bread crumbs
1 envelope taco seasoning
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
2 pounds ground beef
2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
Additional picante sauce, optional

DIRECTIONS
In a large bowl, combine the eggs, 1/2 cup picante sauce, beans, corn, onion, olives, bread crumbs, taco seasoning, cumin and chili powder. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Pat into two ungreased 9-in. x 5-in. x 3-in. loaf pans. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 50-55 minutes or until no pink remains and a meat thermometer reads 160°. Spoon remaining picante sauce over each meat loaf; sprinkle with cheese. Bake 10-15 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing. Serve with additional picante sauce if desired. Yield: 2 meat loaves (6 servings each).
I made this Wednesday night and Hubby loved it. Although I modified the recipe for what I had around the house. Here's the way I did it.
Hamburger
2 eggs
crushed hard taco shells
salsa
taco seasoning mix
fried onions
cheese
Mix the first 5 ingredients together. Form into a loaf. Bake at 350 for 50 minutes. Top with more crushed shells, fried onions, and cheese (I had to use Italian cheese mix because thats all I had-It was still good). Bake 10 more minutes.

4 comments:

Amy said...

This looks *so* good. Is picante sauce the same thing as salsa?

Bethanie said...

No, I think picante sauce is a little different but I'm not sure. I used salsa because I have tons of it that my mother-in-law canned.

Kristi said...

Bethanie, this looks really good. What did you serve it with? I bet a garden salad and french bread would be good.

~Kristi

Bethanie said...

My mother always served mac-n-cheese with meat loaf. Meat loaf is my dad's favorite dish. She used to make it every weekend-since that was when he was home. Anyway, theres already cheese on the meat loaf I know. But I just couldn't resist. Your suggestions sound much healthier and practicle.

Related Posts with Thumbnails