Please Visit My Adoption Blog

Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers

Monday, May 07, 2007

Marriage Monday

Just two weeks ago my mom and I went to wedding. The bride was beautiful. You could tell that she was excited about her new life with her husband. I couldn't help but laugh to myself a little, knowing what was instore for her.
Marriage is difficult. It doesn't take long for that "warm brownie" feeling to wear off. Sharing so much of your life with someone, your going to have some strife.
My advise for a new bride is: Go with the flow.
All of my life I heard that phrase. Its one of my mother's favorite things to say. It used to drive me nuts. When I was a kid, I always liked to know what was next. With my mother being so sparatic, it was near to impossible. I liked to beable to look ahead, and be organized and prepared. But, she is a fly by the seat of her pants kind of gal. I always dragged my heals, complaining that things were too disfunctional and trying to control what little slack that I had. I was always uptight, nervous, and angry.
As you can imagine, I took this into my marriage too. There was simply no room for it.
One time, in the middle of an arguement, my husband said to me, "Your like a fish trying to swim upstream!" I was always trying to make things go my way. Of course they didn't, and I would go into a rage over the feeling of chaos. Battling against the current that was pushing my life.
When it comes to God and your husband, you must go with the flow. Otherwise you miss out on so many good things. They know what is best for you. Just enjoy the ride.

5 comments:

Sharon Brumfield said...

That is why God gave me the husband He did--I was like a salmon trying to swim up stream. And like that fish I was going to kill myself trying to get there.
Just the other day Keith mentioned that he had been good for me. And I will readily admit that he is right. I am not as uptight as I was when we got married.
And that makes life better for both of us.

Nise' said...

I had to learn a new word in my early marriage FLEXIBILITY and it was a good thing I did, because you have to know it when kids come along! Great advice!

Christine said...

Going with the flow, or being flexible, is so often needed when living with another person. Realizing that your needs are not the only ones in play makes for a better marriage!

Thanks, Bethanie for posting!

Mrs. Anna T said...

Oh, yes. You're so right. I'm not married yet, but I AM so uptight and worked up about everything... how will it affect my marriage if God in His grace sends me a husband? I really have to work on it.

Bethanie said...

Flexibility is important.

Related Posts with Thumbnails