Please Visit My Adoption Blog

Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers

Monday, June 11, 2007

Marriage Monday



  • What is your definition of a traditional marriage? Do you consider yours to be traditional or contemporary?

  • What scriptures do you turn to (if any) when determining your role in your marriage?

  • In the sharing of duties in your home (childcare, work, house cleaning), are you and your husband satisfied with the way things get done? If not, how would you or he like it to change?

When I think of the term "traditional marriage" I think of stuff those activists against gay marriage say. "Marriage should be between a man and a woman, the traditional marriage". I'm not sure if we are traditional or contemporary in the sense that the question is asking. I guess you could say we are contemporary in that we are always on the go and we believe an arguement every now and then is healthy. But we are traditional maybe also because my husband is the leader and I take care of all domestic duties.

Genesis 2:18 "And the LORD God said, It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him an help meet for him."

Titus 2:5 "To be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed."

Proverbs 31:27 "She looketh well to the ways of her household, and eateth not the bread of idleness."

Proverbs 31:11&12 "The heart of her husband doth safely trust in her, so that he shall have no need of spoil. She will do him good and not evil all the days of her life."

I remember when we first got married, I decided to make up a chore list. In one column there was the things that I would do and in the next column I wrote down the things I thought he should do. I tacked it up on the fridge and waited to see things accomplished. Several days went by and finally I couldn't stand it anymore. I asked him if he had seen it, he said he had. I asked him why he hadn't done any of the things on his part and he said, "Don't need anothor mother". My husband does the typical husband stuff. He mows the yard, he takes out the trash, and he takes care of the general maitenance of the car and house. I take care of the cleaning, cooking, and organization of the house hold. However, occasionally he'll help me put away the clothes and sometimes I help him in the garage. A couple of weeks ago I learned how to push mow the yard, and enjoyed it. And just the other night he took the broom out of the closet and asked if I would mind if he swept the floor a little. Its not his job to help me, but sometimes he does. He doesn't expect me to take out the trash, but if he isn't there and its overflowing then I do. Make no mistake, there is a ranking system in action in our home. But, in a way we are also partners. After 6 years each of us knows what we have to do, and how to get it done together.

8 comments:

Kelli said...

Hi Bethanie,
I wanted to tell you that I got those little snack cups at Walmart. They were in the kitchen section and they are very useful for lots of things!
Kelli

Bethanie said...

Oh, thanks!

Christine said...

It's great to see how you both appreciate each other in the tasks that you do. I chuckled at the "Don't need another mother" thing! I think the term "traditional" itself is what people don't like. "Biblical" is a much better term, I think.

Heather @ Marine Corps Nomads said...

I too had to giggle at the "don't need another mother" comment. I think it's very easy for us as young/new wives early in our relationship to take on that role. It probably takes us longer than some of us would like to admit to get out of that mentality. lol! ;)

Mrs. Anna T said...

Bethanie,

I think what we should always make sure we are following the word of God. Men's standards may change, but not being helpmeets or looking after our household!

Anonymous said...

Bethany,

Neat post. I love your husband's respone to your note on the frig. I would receive a reply like that as well. Thanks for sharing.

Bethanie said...

Thanks for the comments ladies!

Kellie said...

Great post!! Very inspiring! :o)

Happy MM!

Related Posts with Thumbnails